Built in 1697, it is the oldest stone arch bridge in America. The Park is approximately 8 miles in length and at the maximum width of one mile between the Krewstown and Verree Road areas.The creek itself begins near Maple Glen and flows to the Delaware about 24 miles in distance, fed by several tributaries within the park.The toll gate was in operation until July 1, 1892 when that portion of the turnpike was sold to the City of Philadelphia.The first trolley went into service over the bridge from Cedar Hill (Frankford Avenue and Bridge Street) to the Poquessing in 1895.Over the bridge have come the Lenni-Lenape, the Continental Army, members of the first Continental Congress, farmers on their way to the Mills along the Pennypack, and the common traveler.The Massachusetts delegation, including John Adams, dined at the Red Lion Inn at the Poquessing, on August 29, 1773 and then crossed the bridge on their way to Philadelphia.The name changed from Kings Path, to Kings Highway, to Bristol Turnpike, to Frankford Road, to Frankford Avenue (US #13).Prior to the construction of Roosevelt Boulevard (U. #1) in the 1920s, the road was the main route from Philadelphia to Trenton, New York, and points north.
On March 24, 1803, the Frankford and Bristol Turnpike Company was formed. A toll house was placed at the south end of the bridge, north of the Mill Race.He and his son William both were Directors and Treasurers of the Holmesburg and Bustleton Railroad.Rowland Station was on a hill above the Rowland Shovel Works.The Pennypack Print Works ruins, with the old wooden Rhawn Street Bridge in 1900. The Bensalem Bridge carrying Roosevelt Boulevard over Pennypack Creek looking east. A summers day at one of the "Ole Swimming Holes" that were popular along the Pennypack Creek.The 1893 widening of the "King's Highway Bridge" (Frankford Avenue). Construction Photo of "Bensalem Bridge" over Pennypack Creek. Pennypack Park includes 1,600 lush acres of land from the Delaware River to the Montgomery County Line at Fox Chase Farm.